Saturday, March 28, 2009

i do ... FOR REAL!

this afternoon we were on our way to ikea
i had drew and ben in my car and as usual they were covering a wide variety of subjects :)
at one point they started asking me about my grandparents
this eventually led to what my maiden name was.
at this point drew had to stop to make sure that ben understood what that meant.

'it's like this. when daddy and mommy got married -
then mommy's last name changed to daddy's last name.
and when mommy gets married to her next husband - then she'll take his name.
and when daddy marries his next wife - then she'll have to take daddy's name.'

i didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
of course i stopped him and explained that stacey and i plan to never have another husband or wife.

what is sad to me though, is that divorce is so prevalant that my kids think it is normal and something that will inevitably happen.

now i realize that noone plans for their marriage to end in divorce.
and it happens. i get that.

BUT ... after today i realized that my kids need to understand the vows that stacey and i took.
i don't ever want them to question the stability of our relationship.
i want them to understand what marriage means to us ...
and i want them to understand that when we said 'i do' ...
it was SO much more than a name change.
it was 2 people saying it won't be easy, we won't always get along ...
but we're in this together ...
and i am commited 100% to never having to change my name again

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister!
Sarah, what a great concept to ensure in your kids the idea that you are committed until the end. Sometimes I take for granted the idea that Katrina and Samuel will know that without me having to vocalize it. That may not always be the case and I want them to rest assured every night (and day) that we are in for the long haul.

Anonymous said...

I understand where you are coming from...there have been so much divorce around us lately, Marissa has questioned it alot. Craig and I try not to argue in front of the kids, but it does happen. Marissa has expressed to us that it scares her that we may get divorced. I always assure her that dad and I won't...he is stuck with me whether he likes it or not:)!! We have actually explained to her the "meaning" of marriage and the vows that you take when my sister got married. We told her that although some people do get divorced, we take our vows seriously.

Anonymous said...

To the end is the only way. Love has a way of becoming so deep that you cannot imagine. FKeep it up Ms Elerbe

Kristi said...

AMEN!!! Just catching up here on your blog...I haven't been great at checking in and I have MISSED it! I love reading about the happenings of your family! Hope that you are all doing well...and Happy Birthday to those boys of yours!

Take care!