today i bring you the final installment to hannah and bobby's wedding -
through our eyes
the reception
through our eyes
the reception

i had it all prewritten
because i do a much better job of putting my thoughts on paper
so all i had to do was read it -
yet i was still really nervous
so nervous that the paper was visably shaking ;)
in the end ...
it went well
and
i said MOST everything i wanted to say

i know those of you that couldn't be there are SO curious what i said ;)
SO i figured i'd share a bit
* * *
Hannah … you look beautiful and when I look at you it makes me SO happy. You have done so much for yourself in the past few years and I am so proud of you! You did great in school. You are now officially a nurse. You are raising an amazing 6 year old AND you are sitting next to the man that has been by your side through it all. He has played a role in making you stronger, healthier, and happier. And I love that.
As I was thinking about my toast and what I wanted to say I realized that Stacey and I were coming up on our 12 year anniversary. I figured it was only appropriate that I give you 12 things that marriage has taught me – or us.
1. Remember what made you fall in love in the first place. Our relationship started with and has always been based on a close friendship. There are days when we don’t necessarily like each other and those are the times when I am really thankful that we have an amazing friendship to fall back on.
2. Be willing to compromise.
3. Argue fair. Avoid the words ‘you always and ‘you never’ and remember that you can be right or you can be happy .
4. ALSO .. when you fight … fight naked - It helps keep things in perspective.
5. Kiss every day for various and numerous reasons.
6. There’s something to be said about living 3 hours away from family. Just sayin’.
7. Marriage isn’t always 50/50. Some days you’ll wake up and give 90% while Bobby only gives 10%. But other days he’ll wake up and give 80% while you pick up the last 20. The biggest thing is that through it all – you’re not keeping score.
8. Talk often. Take time to share the small details of your day. We’ve surprised many people with how many details we know about each other’s daily lives. Not that we sit down each night and have a long conversation. It’s more that we intentionally share the little details any time we get the chance.
9. Along with that communication comes choosing your words carefully. With a few small words or a not so nice tone you can completely ruin a moment. But by carefully choosing a few small words you can add a lot of life to your marriage. Take the time to compliment each other – and Hannah, when he does – make sure to receive his compliment – something I am not so good at.
10. Take time for yourselves. It will make you happier and stronger when you are together.
11. Marriage is more than finding the right person – it is being the right person. Although I am pretty close to perfect – I have found the times when I feel the happiest are when I set aside trying to change Stacey and focus on how I can make myself more loveable instead.
12. And finally – I want you to try to remember that this marriage thing is kind of like a roller coaster – The best you can do is try to laugh through the loops, hold hands through the dips, and enjoy the twists and turns because the time really does go quick. It is probably going to be harder than you think. But it’s also going to be better than you could ever imagine.
Hannah … Bobby …
I am SO excited that I get to be here with you as you begin your journey and I look forward to being along with you on all of your journeys ahead.
Congratulations.
* * *
Hannah ...
your wedding was ABSOLUTELY beautiful
you were stunning
and
i am SO thankful that i was able to be next to you for the entire day
i love you.





No comments:
Post a Comment