Wednesday, February 13, 2008

love and logic = 0 invisible coat = 1

this morning i had the perfect opportunity to use a little love and logic. ben consistently walks out the door and couldn't care less about whether he has his coat on or with him. so, as we were just about to leave i told him one time to get it, THEN, we decided to not remind him as he walked out the door. he got to the car and i was hoping and praying that he would be sitting out there cold. thinking ... that'll teach him to put his coat on the next time. so i opened the door to put alex in and he was sitting there with his arms crossed looking slightly cold. thinking it might actually be working, i said "oh wow ben ... you really look cold." (trying to use my empathy to make him think that not wearing his coat, or bringing it was ... well rather dumb :)) he looked at me and said "actually i'm just fine because i have on my invisible coat."

AHHH .. not exactly the response i was expecting.

4 comments:

4funboys said...

I can't even begin to tell you how much this "takes me back"... very cute! glad to stumble on your blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh---that is SO Ben!!! That's what makes us love him so!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, he's so clever!

I didn't realize this was a Love and Logic trick, too! I "like" using natural consequences when the opportunity arises. Kieran, at 3, isn't astute enough to come up with "invisible coat" comebacks, though. Yet.

Recently, when he KEPT taking off his shoes in the car after I KEPT asking him not to, I decided, upon returning home, NOT to put his shoes back on him. I said, "Oh! It looks like you took your shoes off. I wonder if your feet are going to get cold." And, get this, I made him walk to the house (we have a detached garage) through the snow and ice with no shoes on. He ran and then cried just before he got to the door but I wouldn't carry him. He scooted in the house quickly, dried off his feet, and never has taken his shoes off in the car again!

Kristi said...

SO...what happened next??? :-)

Wow, Ben...that was a very clever comment...I still am chuckling over it right now...